Make it ahead! This chili is made easy in the slow cooker, then topped with a refreshing fresh salsa.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15.5 oz) can great northern beans, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Avocados from Mexico, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2–3 small to medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalepeno, ribs and seeds removed, finely diced
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- For the chili:
- In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until mostly browned. Add in the onion and bell pepper and cook an additional 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the beef mixture to a slow cooker. Stir in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin and salt. Cook on low for at least 4 hours (but it can be cooked all day long).
- For the salsa:
- Combine all ingredients and serve over the chili. All ingredients can be combined ahead of time except the avocado. Wait until serving to add the avocado.