Simple and healthy, this Easy Lemon Chicken with Butternut Squash serves up roasted chicken breasts doused in lemon juice over roasted butternut squash.
- 1 3/4 to 2 lbs cubed, peeled butternut squash
- 2 lemons (1 sliced, 1 juiced)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped, divided
- 4 (6 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts*
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Place the squash in a large bowl and add the sliced lemon, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir to coat, then transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, undisturbed, until the squash is tender and browned on the edges, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large oven proof skillet over medium high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is browned on one side, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip the chicken, then transfer the skillet to the oven. Roast until the chicken is cooked through, 5-8 minutes.
- Return the skillet to the stove over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the lemon juice, then sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano over the top. Cook, spooning the pan juices over the chicken, for about 1 minute. Serve the chicken with the roasted butternut squash and lemon. Drizzle the chicken with the pan juices.
*I will usually take 2 larger chicken breasts and cut them open horizontally to make 4 thinner pieces. They cook a lot more evenly when they are thin.