A delicious and “fancy” dinner does not have to take all day! This Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu is ready in under 30 minutes.
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 + teaspoon + a dash of kosher salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 large chicken breasts)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 oz deli sliced ham
- 4 thin slices of Swiss cheese
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the panko breadcrumbs and cook, stirring constantly, until they are a deep, golden brown. Remove from the heat and stir in a dash of salt. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven broiler to high. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board, and using a sharp knife, cut the breasts in half lengthwise, forming 4 thinner pieces. (Alternately, you can use 4 chicken cutlets.) Season both sides of the chicken with the remaining salt and the pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, 3-4 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook the second side until browned. (You may need to do this in 2 batches if your skillet isn’t big enough.) Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet. Top each piece of chicken with some of the ham and a slice of cheese.
- Broil the chicken until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 3-4 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on it as it goes quickly.
- Serve the chicken sprinkled with the reserved breadcrumbs.
adapted from Supermarket Healthy