Perfect for camping, this Dutch Oven Frito Pie takes a homemade chili – made in the Dutch oven – that is served over Fritos with cheese and onions.
- 3 cubes beef bullion
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 2–3 dry bay leaves
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4 oz each) diced green chiles
- 1 large can (29 oz) pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For serving – Fritos, shredded cheddar cheese, diced onions
- In a small bowl, mix together the bullion and vinegar and set aside to let the bullion dissolve.
- Heat a Dutch oven over 12-15 coals. In the Dutch oven, melt the butter. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook until they are starting to soften.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Stir in the chili powder, oregano, cumin, paprika and bay leaves; cook for a minute or two.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, green chiles, and pinto beans. Then stir in the reserved vinegar mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on the Dutch oven and place 6-8 coals on top. Simmer for 2-3 hours.
- When ready to serve, place Fritos in a bowl and top with the chili, shredded cheddar cheese and diced onions.
This can also be made on the stove over medium heat.
To make things easier for camping, dice the onions and peppers beforehand and store in a large ziplock bag.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
Nutrition information is for chili only – it does not include the Fritos or toppings.
- Calories: 265
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 724 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 61 mg
Keywords: Dutch Oven Frito Pie