This Slow Cooker Cuban Ropa Vieja has flank steak that is slow cooked with tomatoes, peppers and onions. Rich and flavorful, this will become a new slow cooker favorite!
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 pound flank steak, cut into thirds
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- In the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Nestle the steak down into the vegetables. Place the cover on the slow cooker and cook until the meat is tender and easily shreds, 4-5 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
- About 30 minutes before the meat is done, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- When the meat is done, remove it from the slow cooker and shred the beef using two forks. Place the shredded beef back into the slow cooker and stir into the juices and vegetables.
- Serve the beef over the rice with sliced avocado and topped with cilantro.
Recipe source: Real Simple December 2009
- Calories: 339
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 476 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Cholesterol: 75 mg
Keywords: ropa vieja