Bring a little bit of England into the kitchen with this Crumpet Recipe. These Crumpets only take a few simple ingredients to make this delicious English snack.
- 1 cup whole milk, heated to 110ºF – 115ºF
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the milk, sugar and yeast. Let them sit until the yeast starts to bubble, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and salt to the yeast mixture and beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, or until the batter is smooth and it stretches when you lift out the beater. Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place in a warm, draft-free area until the mixture has doubled in size and is bubbly on top, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, stir together the water and baking soda. Stir this mixture into the batter, then set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat. Spray the surface lightly with nonstick cooking spray, and spray 4- 2 1/2 -inch crumpet molds. Place the molds in the skillet. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the batter to the center of each mold and then cook until the bottoms are a deep golden brown and air bubbles have formed on the top, about 9 minutes. Use a pair of tongs to remove the molds, then turn the crumpets over to cook on the second side for about a minute.
- Remove the crumpets to a plate or serving platter, then repeat until you have used all of the batter. Serve warm.
The original recipe says you should get 20 crumpets, but I only got 12.
recipe source: Good Food, Good Life by Curtis Stone
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1 crumpet
- Calories: 68
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 154 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 2 mg
Keywords: crumpets, crumpet recipe, english recipe, homemade