Crispy fried shrimp are combined with your favorite taco toppings and a homemade mayonnaise in this Crispy Shrimp Taco Recipe that is perfect for Taco Tuesday.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 3/4 cups panko bread crumbs
- 12 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails removed, if desired)
- 8 small corn or flour tortillas
- desired toppings: avocado slices, pickled chiles, thinly sliced red onions, shredded cabbage, cilantro, lime wedges, etc.
Make the mayo:
- In a blender, combine the mustard, lime juice, garlic, and egg yolks. Pulse to combine. With the blender on low to medium low, start streaming in the oil. Continue to blend until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper,
Make the shrimp:
- Pour about an inch of oil into a large skillet or pan. (I like to use a cast iron skillet.) Heat over medium heat until the oil shimmers.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg lightly with the milk. Place the panko in a third bowl. Coat the shrimp in the flour, then in the egg mixture, and then into the panko, coating completely. Place the shrimp in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about a minute on each side. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
Assemble the tacos:
- Place 2-3 shrimp down the center of each tortilla. Top with your desired toppings, then drizzle with the homemade mayo. Serve immediately.
adapted from Tex-Mex From Scratch