Creamy Sweet Potato Soup – A simple sweet potato soup with an extra flavor kick from nutmeg and curry.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- Dash of curry power
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 Tbsp chopped pecans, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Pierce the potatoes in several places with a fork and roast in the oven until tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle. Remove the skins and roughly chop the potatoes.
- Combine the potatoes with 3/4 cup of the chicken broth in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the nutmeg and curry. Whisk in the milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Cook one minute more, then add the potato mixture and remaining 1 1/4 cups chicken broth. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with chopped pecans, if desired.
Adapted from Confabulation in the Kitchen