This kid-friendly Ham and Noodle Casserole has pasta coated in a creamy sauce, plus ham and spinach that add tons of flavor. This pasta casserole is a great way to use up leftover holiday ham!
- 1/2 lb (8 oz) medium pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon (12g) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (142g) diced onion
- 6 oz (170g) fresh baby spinach, chopped or torn
- 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons (22g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (12oz) milk
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) ricotta cheese
- 5.2 oz (150g) package soft garlic and herb cheese (such as Boursin)*
- 1 1/2 cups (8 oz) cubed cooked ham
- 1/3 cup (33g) grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a shallow 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until very soft and starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Add in the spinach and cook until wilted, an addition 1-2 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk, then season with salt and pepper. Add a dash of nutmeg and the Dijon mustard. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking very frequently. Continue to cook until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the ricotta and garlic and herb cheese.
- Stir the cheese sauce into the pot with the shells. Add in the onion/spinach mixture and the cubed ham and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the Parmesan on top.
- Bake the casserole for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly.
*The original recipe posted here only used 1 1/2 oz of the garlic and herb cheese. But the last time I made it, I accidentally used the whole package (5.2 oz) and I will never go back again!
adapted from The Ultimate Casserole Cookbook
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 461
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 884 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated Fat: 12 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 19 g
- Cholesterol: 74 mg
Keywords: ham and noodle casserole, noodle casserole, leftover ham