This Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is creamy and comforting. It will be your new favorite version of chicken tortilla soup!
- 1–1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups (32 oz) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup masa harina
- 1–1/3 cups milk
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, tortilla strips or chips, hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Season the chicken with the salt and the pepper. Place in a baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Pour one cup of the chicken broth over the top of the chicken and cover the dish with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the dish, reserving the cooking liquid. Let the chicken cool slightly, then shred the meat with 2 forks.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, another 30 seconds. Add the remaining 3 cups of chicken broth as well as the reserved cooking liquid, the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and fire roasted tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Whisk together the masa carina and the milk. Stir the mixture into the soup. Continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture boils and thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, black beans, pinto beans, and the corn. Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the heavy cream and the sour cream.
- Serve the soup with your desired toppings.
Slightly adapted from Martina’s Kitchen Mix
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
Nutrition counts do not include toppings.
- Calories: 379
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 651 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 26 g
- Cholesterol: 75 mg
Keywords: chicken tortilla soup