Chicken, corn, cheese and an easy cream sauce are enclosed in puff pastry triangles to make this Creamy Chicken and Corn Turnover Recipe that will be a hit with the family.
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon Emeril’s Essence (can sub in poultry seasoning)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- dash of paprika
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups cooked cubed or shredded chicken
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 box (2 sheets – 17.3 oz) puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken broth and 1/4 cup of the milk. Add the Emeril’s Essence, salt, onion powder, oregano, pepper and paprika. Bring to a boil.
- In a bowl (or in your measuring cup if you don’t want to get another dish dirty) whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup milk and the flour. Slowly add the flour mixture to the boiling mixture, whisking the whole time to avoid lumps. Continue to cook until the mixture has thickened, another minute or two. Season to taste.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and add the chicken and the corn.
- Lay the puff pastry sheets out on a work surface. Cut each sheet into 4 squares. Place a couple of heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture on the center of each square. Top with about a tablespoon of the cheese. Fold over the puff pastry, creating a triangle, enclosing the filing in the center. Use the tines of a fork to press the edges down to seal. Transfer to the baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg with a splash of water in a small bowl. Brush the egg over the top of each turnover. (You do not need to use all of the egg wash – just enough to coat each turnover.) Cut 1 or 2 slits in the top of each turnover to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.