This Butternut Squash Soup recipe cooks fresh squash slowly in the slow cooker. Before serving, cream cheese is added for a creamy, simple, flavorful soup.
- 1 (2 lb) butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 4 chicken-flavor bullion cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, cubed
- Peel the butternut squash and cut into 1-inch cubes. Place in the bottom of a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the cooked onion to the slow cooker, along with the water, bullion, thyme, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until the squash is tender.
- Add the cream cheese to the slow cooker and allow to cook for 30-45 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. (Alternately, use an immersion blender and blend the mixture in the slow cooker.). Return the soup to the slow cooker to keep warm.
Adapted from Pillsbury Slow Cooker Recipes
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide. Nutrition information does not include toppings.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 990 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 53 mg
Keywords: butternut squash soup