Roasted, pureed butternut squash is the base of this Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta – the perfect, comforting fall dinner.
Any Gilmore Girls fans?
I was totally late to the game. Somehow, I totally missed the boat 15 years ago when the show was first on. I don’t normally watch a ton of tv, but I have started watching Netflix on my tablet as I work at night. At first, I watched things that I had seen a million times so that I wouldn’t get distracted. Like Friends. I honestly watched it from the beginning to the end. But then I started finding series that I had never seen before, and all of a sudden, I became a full-fledged Netflix addict.
When I found Gilmore Girls, I was hooked from the start. I would actually look forward to staying up late at night to work, because I had Lorelai and Rory there to keep me company. And while season 7 was a bit of a throwaway for me, I was truly sad when it was over.
Now, if you are a Gilmore Girls fan, you know that they are returning for a 4 episode special on Netflix. I am SO. EXCITED. Forget black Friday shopping – I will be spending the day (virtually) in Stars Hollow.
But what’s a girl to do in the meantime – waiting for such a highly anticipated comeback? Serve up all the comfort food. Luckily, now that the temps are cooling down outside, I have all the excuses I need to focus on comfort food. And it doesn’t get more comforting than this Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta.
We already know of my butternut squash addiction. And this is just yet another way to serve up my favorite veggie. We have been eating pasta like crazy lately (as I said – bring on the comfort food) and for my family, the creamier the better. I love that this recipe gives my family the creamy pasta, and gives me that butternut squash. Win for everyone!!
For the pancetta, I like to go to the deli counter at the grocery store and have them cut me a big, fat slice. Usually one slice, about 1/4″ – 1/2″ thick is all you’ll need. Then you get nice chunks of pancetta in the pasta. Also, you’ll want to make sure you are using freshly grated Parmesan (the good stuff), otherwise, it won’t melt into the sauce like it’s supposed to.
Gilmore Girls + comfort food pasta = my dreams come true!!
- 3 cups diced butternut squash (about 2 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 8 oz diced pancetta
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place the butternut squash on a large baking sheet and toss with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until tender and lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Let cool slightly, then place in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Before draining, reserve 1-2 cups of the pasta water.
- Place a large pot or skillet over medium heat and add the diced pancetta. Cook until browned and crispy. Add the pureed squash, cream and garlic and bring to a light simmer. Add the pasta and stir to combine. Add half of the parmesan cheese, and add the pasta water as needed to loosen the pasta and make a creamy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the pasta topped with the additional Parmesan cheese and top with chopped parsley, if desired.
SHOP THIS POST!
Don’t miss a thing! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I’m pinning!
More Butternut Squash Love:
Around the Web:
Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna from Diethood
Roasted Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili from FoodieCrush
Autumn Pearl Couscous Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash from Little Spice Jar