Homemade Caramel Recipe – perfect for gift giving, this homemade caramel is so tasty and addictive!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, plus more for greasing the pan
- Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with foil or parchment paper. Grease with butter.
- In a 3 quart pan, combine the sugar, cream, corn syrup and butter. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil uncovered until the mixture reaches 245ºF, stirring frequently. (This can take anywhere from 30-60 minutes.) Immediately spread the hot caramel in the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Let cool completely, at least 2 hours.
- Cut the candy into 8 rows by 8 rows, 1-inch x 1-inch each. Wrap individually in wax paper.
source: Betty Crocker Christmas Cookies Dec/Jan 2009