Made from scratch, this Homemade White Bread Recipe is perfect for sandwiches, toast, or simply with butter and jam. You won’t believe just how easy it is!
- 4 1/4 cups unbleached white flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups milk, at room temperature
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast and salt. (If making with an electric mixer, do this in the mixer bowl.)
- Pour in the egg, butter and milk. Mix until all of the flour is absorbed and no dry spots remain. The dough should be soft, so if needed, you can add more milk.
- If making by hand, flour a counter and pour the dough onto the surface and begin kneading, adding more flour as needed, until you have a soft, supple dough that is tacky but not sticky. Continue to knead the dough for 6-8 minutes.
- If making by mixer, mix on medium speed with the dough hook, adding flour as needed, until the dough clears the sides of the mixer but still sticks to the bottom. Continue to mix on medium-low for 6-8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and transfer the dough to the bowl. Turn the dough over to coat with the oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on external circumstances.
- When the dough has doubled, remove it from the bowl and divide it in half. Spray it lightly with nonstick cooking spray and cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Oil two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pans.
- Shape each of the pieces of dough into loaves. Place the loaves in the pans.
- Spray the tops of the loaves lightly with nonstick cooking spray and loosely cover with a towel or plastic wrap. Let the dough rise again until nearly doubled, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Once the loaves have risen, remove the towel or plastic wrap and place the loaves in the oven. Bake for about 35 to 45 minutes, until the tops of the loaves are golden brown. The sides of the loaves (when removed from the pan) should also be golden brown and the loaves should sound hollow if you tap on the bottom. If you have an instant read thermometer, the internal temperature should be 190ºF.
- Remove the loaves from the oven and cool on a wire rack for at least an hour.
Very slightly adapted from The Bread Baker’s Apprentice
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 86
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 113 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg
Keywords: white bread