Strawberry Lime Shortcakes with Coconut Cream – Slices of perfect sour cream pound cake are topped with strawberries soaked in a lime syrup and a light coconut cream in this perfect summertime dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice (about 2–4 limes)
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup toasted coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8- or 9-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, or grease and flour.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat together the sugar and the butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs in one at a time, beating between each addition. Add the vanilla and sour cream and beat until incorporated. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake in the preheated oven until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to let it cool completely.
- Combine the strawberries, sugar and lime juice in a medium bowl. Let them sit until the sugar has dissolved, about 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- While the strawberries sit, make the coconut cream: Place the cream in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until it starts to thicken, about 1 minutes. Gradually add the sugar while beating on low. Beat in both extracts, then continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- To serve, top a slice or two of the pound cake with some of the marinated berries (making sure to add some of the lime syrup!) Top with coconut cream, and then sprinkle with toasted coconut.
recipe source: Our Best Bites Cookbook