You only need 4 ingredients to make this crunch toffee that is covered in chocolate. This Sponge Toffee has a light, rigid, sponge-like texture that melts in your mouth.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup (you can also substitute corn syrup or honey)
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- bittersweet chocolate
- Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with foil and butter generously. Set aside.
- Heat the sugar and syrup in a saucepan. (Make sure your saucepan is big enough for when you add the baking soda and it bubbles up.) Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until it reaches 285F.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda. Stir well so that all of the baking soda will dissolve. Be careful – the mixture will really bubble up and it is extremely hot.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared pan to cool.
- When cooled, break into pieces. Dip in tempered chocolate. Place on a piece of waxed paper to set.
recipe source: Field Guide to Candy