This Sour Cream Coffee Cake is the queen of the breakfast cakes! Super soft and moist with a great cinnamon crunch, this is the only coffee cake recipe you’ll need.
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1–3 teaspoons milk, if needed
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.**
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a bowl with a hand mixer), cream the butter and the sugar together until lighter in color, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the mixer after each addition.
- Add the sour cream and the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Stir with a spatula to make sure all of the batter is stirred together.
- In another bowl, make the streusel. Combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Add the butter, and with a pastry cutter or a fork, cut the butter into the mixture to form a crumble.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared tube pan. Use a knife or an offset spatula to even out the batter.
- Sprinkle half of the streusel mixture over the top of the batter.
- Carefully drop the remaining batter over the top of the streusel and gently spread with the knife or offset spatula into an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining streusel over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 20 minutes, then remove the cake to a serving platter, streusel side up.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and maple syrup. If you want a thinner icing, add a little bit of milk. Drizzle over the cake with a spoon or a fork.
*I have made this coffee cake with all-purpose flour and it works.
**You can also use a bundt pan, but you’ll want to do three layers of the batter and two layers of the streusel so that the streusel doesn’t end on the top (which becomes the bottom). You can also bake this in a 9×13 pan.
Recipe from Barefoot Contessa Parties!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 473
- Sugar: 46 g
- Sodium: 214 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 14 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 69 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 93 mg
Keywords: sour cream coffee cake, coffee cake recipe, cinnamon streusel coffee cake