A popular British snack, these simple Sausage Rolls have puff pastry that is filled with a sausage mixture and baked.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- 2 sheets puff pastry (I full 17.3 oz box), thawed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the casings from the sausage and place the sausage in a large bowl, breaking it up with your fingers. Add one of the eggs, the breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until fully combined, but try not to over-mix. Roughly divide the mixture into 6 equal portions.
- Working with one sheet of puff pastry at a time, lay a sheet down on a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll the sheet slightly larger, about 6 inches by 12 inches. Cut the sheet into 3 strips. (I just cut along the 3 fold lines that were in the puff pastry from being folded.)
- Take one-sixth of the sausage mixture and form it into a long snake shape and place it down the middle of one of the strips of puff pastry. Repeat with the other two sections.
- Take your remaining egg and place it in a small bowl. Add a small splash of water (about 1 teaspoon) and whisk until it is all completely combined.
- Brush the egg wash down one of the long sides of the puff pastry strips. Take the other side and fold it over the top of the sausage mixture. Take the side with the egg wash and fold it up and over the other side of the pastry, using the egg as the glue to completely cover the sausage filling. Use your fingers to pinch any edges together that may come apart. Repeat with the other two sections.
- Cut each of these into 6 smaller rolls. (I like to use a pizza cutter.) Place on one of the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining sheet of puff pastry and the remaining sausage filling.
- Using the remaining egg wash, brush the top of each of the sausage rolls, then sprinkle with some of the sesame seeds.
- Bake, one sheet at time, until the rolls are golden brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
adapted from Donna Hay Modern Classics (Book 1)
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should be used as a general guide.
- Serving Size: 2 rolls
- Calories: 193
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 361 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 38 mg
Keywords: sausage rolls