This Rigatoni with Sausage, Peas, Tomatoes and Cream is easy enough for a weeknight, but special enough for a weekend.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 link (about 1/4 lb.) mild Italian sausage
- 2 to 3 ounces sliced bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh peas or thawed frozen peas
- 1 pound dried rigatoni
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat the butter and olive oil. Add the onion and cook until soft and golden, 5-6 minutes. Raise the heat to high and add in the sausage and bacon. Cook, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the skillet and cook until most of it has evaporated. Stir in the tomato sauce and heavy cream. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Add in the peas and cook an additional minute or two. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the rigatoni until drained. Return the pasta to the pot.
- When the sauce is done, pour it over the cooked pasta and stir to coat the pasta. Stir in a handful of the Parmigiano-Reggiano and stir to coat. Serve the pasta with the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano.
slightly adapted from Biba’s Taste of Italy
Keywords: rigatoni with sausage