Beef short ribs are simmered in an easy tomato sauce for this Slow Simmered Short Rib Sauce with Pasta. It’s perfect for a Sunday supper!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 (14-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 oz penne pasta
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the ribs with salt and pepper on all sides. Working in batches, if needed, add the ribs and brown on all sides, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the ribs to a plate and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
- Add the onion to the Dutch oven and sauté until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add the beef broth and simmer, scraping up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer until it reduces to a glaze, a couple of minutes.
- Return the ribs to the pan, along with any juices that have accumulated. Turn the heat to low and add the tomatoes. Cover the pan and allow the sauce to simmer, turning the ribs often during cooking. Cook until the meat is falling off the bone, about 2 hours.
- When the meat is tender, remove from the pan to a cutting board. When they are cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and shred. Discard the fat and the bones. Add the meat back to the sauce and simmer until heated through. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, then drain. Add the drained pasta to the Dutch oven and toss to coat in the sauce. Serve with the grated cheese.
Adapted from The New Best Recipe