A Traditional Meatloaf Recipe, this comfort food is just like mama used to make it. Moist and flavorful, you this is the only meatloaf recipe you will need. The brown sugar and ketchup glaze is not to be missed!
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 pounds ground meat*
- 2/3 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 16 crackers)
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
To make the glaze:
- Combine ketchup, brown sugar and cider vinegar in a small bowl.
To make the meatloaf:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, and once shimmering, add the onion and cook until tender. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute, then remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper, thyme and hot pepper sauce. Mix until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, crackers, parsley, and cooked onion and garlic mixture. Add the egg mixture and mix just until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet. Form into a loaf about 9×5-inches.
- Brush half of the glaze over the meatloaf.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then spread the remaining glaze over the top and sides of the meatloaf.
- Return to the oven and bake until the meatloaf registers 160ºF on an instant read thermometer, about another 20-30 minutes.
- If desired, you can turn on the broiler for the last couple minutes to really thicken up the glaze.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing to serve.
*Traditional meatloaf mix is an equal mixture of ground beef, ground pork and ground veal. I have never seen ground veal at my grocery store, so I have never included it. I like to do about 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef and 1/2 lb of ground pork. All ground beef will work, but I prefer the flavor when a bit of pork is added.
adapted from: The New Best Recipe
- Serving Size: 1/8th of recipe
- Calories: 369
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 680 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 11 g
- Cholesterol: 99 mg
Keywords: traditional meatloaf recipe, meatloaf glaze, meatloaf topping, meatloaf recipe, best meatloaf recipe