Straight from Hawaii – this Hawaiian Sweet Bread Recipe is light and slightly sweet and goes well with any Hawaiian meal.
- 1/2 cup milk, warmed
- 3 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk or light cream
- 5 tablespoons butter
- large pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 cups bread flour
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten, plus 1 egg beaten for glaze
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix milk, yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Allow to stand until the mixture is bubbly.
- In a saucepan, warm the evaporated milk. Add the butter, nutmeg, sugar and lemon peel. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, the yeast mixture and the salt. Add enough of the evaporated milk mixture just to form a soft dough. Knead for 15 minutes.
- Allow the loaf to rise to double it’s size. Punch it down and let it rise again. Form into a round loaf and allow to rise one more time.
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Mix the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush it on top of the loaf of bread.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes.
adapted from The Food of Paradise