The perfect use for fresh corn, these Corn Fritters are cheesy, irresistible and melt-in-your mouth delicious.
- 3 ears fresh corn (*or 2 cups corn kernels)
- 3 tablespoons diced red or green bell pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Shuck and clean the corn. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the corn to the boiling water and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Turn a small bowl upside down inside a larger bowl. This creates a “stand” to stand the corn on to cut the kernels from the cobs. Cut the kernels from the ear, then scrape the cob with a table knife to release all of the milk. Remove the small bowl, then add the bell pepper, eggs, water and cheese. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add the flour mixture to the corn mixture and stir just until evenly moistened. Stir in the melted butter.
- Pour oil into a large heavy skillet to a depth of 1/4-inch. Heat over medium heat until it registers 350º on a deep-frying thermometer. Using a serving spoon and working in batches to avoid crowding, drop spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil. You will make about 16 fritters in all. Fry on the first side until golden bowl and crisp, about 2 minutes. Turn once and fry until golden on the second side, 2 minutes more. Drain the fritters on paper towels and season with salt.
- Serve warm.
Recipe source: Vegetables
*If not using fresh corn, you won’t have the extra flavor from the corn milk.
If needed, you can keep the first batches of fritters warm in an over set at 200ºF while you finish frying the remainder.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts.
- Serving Size: 1 fritter
- Calories: 103
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 68 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg
Keywords: Corn Fritters, corn cakes