- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup dry powdered milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar, powdered milk and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and butter. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until it boils, then turn the heat down to medium and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the milk mixture until completely combined. Let it sit for a few minutes until it is cool enough to handle.
- Divide the mixture into thirds. Add desired food coloring(s). Knead each portion of dough until the color is distributed and the dough is smooth.
- Roll each section of dough into a rope about 1/2-inch thick. Place the 3 ropes side by side and press lightly together. Roll a rolling pin over the top if needed to get the ropes to stick together.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the rope into triangles. Transfer to a baking sheet. Let sit for at least an hour.
recipe source: Field Guide to Candy