Homemade calzones are filled with 3 cheeses and sausage.
- 4 cups (22 ounces) bread flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 15-ounce container whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces hot or sweet sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing on tops
- Kosher salt or coarse sea salt for sprinkling on tops
Make the dough:
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine the flour, yeast and salt. Using the dough hook with the mixer on medium-low speed, add the olive oil. Gradually add the water. Continue to mix until it comes together into a soft, elastic dough. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Remove the dough from the mixer bowl and add the dough to the bowl. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm spot until doubles, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Make the filling:
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg yolk, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Remove the casings from the sausage. Cook the sausage in a skillet, breaking it up as it cooks until it is cooked through. Stir in the garlic and the red pepper flakes until fragrant, about 10 seconds and then remove from heat. Set aside to cool, then stir into the cheese mixture.
- Place an oven rack at the lowest position in the oven and set a pizza stone on the rack. Heat the oven to 500F and heat for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. Divide each half into thirds so that you have 6 pieces of dough. Shape each piece of dough into a ball and set on a piece of parchment paper that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Cover them with plastic wrap and let them rest for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Cut 6 9-inch squares of parchment paper. Roll each piece of dough into a 9-inch circle and set on a piece of parchment.
- Form the calzones by dividing the filling between each of the 6 rounds of dough. Fold the top half of the dough over, leaving a 1/2-inch border uncovered. Lightly press the dough to seal it. Starting at one end, place your index finger diagonally across the edge and pull the bottom layer of the dough over the tip of your finger. Repeat until the filling is sealed inside the calzone.
- With a sharp paring knife or a razor blade, cut 5 slits, about 1 1/2 inches long each, diagonally across the top of each calzone. Do not cut through the calzone, just the top layer.
- Brush the top of each calzone with olive oil, then sprinkle with coarse salt. Trim the excess parchment from around the calzone and slide the calzone onto a pizza peel. Slide them into the oven on the pizza stone. Bake until they are golden brown, about 11 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
very slightly adapted from The New Best Recipe