Crispy coconut crusted shrimp are topped with a sweet and spicy mango salsa in this Coconut Shrimp Taco Recipe that brings a taste of the tropics to taco night!
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- oil, for frying
- 24 large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 – 1 jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- juice of 1 lime
For the tacos
- 8 tortillas
- shredded purple cabbage
- sliced avocados
- fresh lime juice
- Combine the panko, coconut, lime zest, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl or plate. In another bowl, beat the eggs. Place the cornstarch in a third bowl.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy pot or cast iron skillet to about 350ºF.
- Working with a few shrimp at a time, dip them into the cornstarch first, shaking off any excess. Transfer to the eggs, then into the panko mixture, coating the shrimp completely. Place in the oil and cook until browned and crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and repeat until all of the shrimp are cooked.
- To make the salsa, combine the mango, red bell pepper, onion, cilantro and jalapeño in a small bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over the top and stir to combine. If needed, season to taste with salt.
- To assemble, place 3 shrimp on each tortilla. Top with a couple slices of avocado, cabbage, cilantro, and some of the mango salsa. Squeeze fresh lime over the top, if desired.
shrimp recipe adapted from Bon Appetit