Fancy enough for a holiday, but easy enough for a weekday breakfast, this Coconut Crusted Oven Baked French Toast with Cranberry Syrup is not only stunning, but dairy and egg free as well!
Coconut Crusted Oven Baked French Toast
- 1 cup Silk Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
- 6 slices Texas toast
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Spray a large baking sheet generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the coconut milk and the cornstarch. Stir in the vanilla. Place the coconut on a plate or in another shallow dish.
- Dip each slice of the Texas toast into the coconut milk mixture, coating both sides. Transfer to the coconut and press coconut into both sides of the bread. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet, keeping the slices in a single layer. Drizzle the melted coconut oil over the top.
- Bake in the preheated for 10 minutes, then flip slices over and bake another 5 minutes, or until browned and no longer soggy in the centers.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup. Combine both sugars and the water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup of the cranberries and continue to cook until the cranberries start to pop, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, squish the cranberries. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of cranberries and cook just until they start popping, about another 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut oil.
- Serve the French toast with the cranberry syrup over the top.
*If you are keeping the recipe vegan, make sure to check the label on your bread to make sure that it is egg and dairy free.
*The syrup will thicken up as it cools. If you like it runnier, serve it when it’s hot, or if you want it thicker, let it cool off some before serving.