Pretty in pink – these Coconut Cherry Cupcakes are sure to be a hit. Easy coconut cupcakes have a creamy coconut center and a cherry pink frosting – pink never looked so perfect!
- 1 white cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 5 1/2 – 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice ((from the jar with the maraschino cherries))
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 30 maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line 30 cupcake tins with paper wrappers.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, sour cream, milk, vegetable oil and almond extract. Beat until completely combined. Stir in the coconut.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared cupcake wrappers. Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cupcakes cool completely.
- To make the filling – stir together the powdered sugar, cream and coconut extract. Stir in the shredded coconut.
- Cut a cone shape out of the center of each cupcake about ¾” in diameter and ¾” deep with a sharp paring knife. Cut off the pointed end of the cone and reserve the top. Fill each hole with about 1 heaping teaspoon of the coconut filling, then cover with the reserved tops.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Start adding in the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. When the mixture gets too thick, start adding in the cherry juice. When all of the juice and powdered sugar is incorporated, beat in the almond extract and continue to beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe the frosting on the filled cupcakes.
- Place the cherries on a paper towel to drain. Once dry, place a cherry on top of each cupcake.