Maraschino cherries, almonds and coconut were made for each other in these sweet and gooey bars.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Alternately, line the pan with parchment paper or foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix the 1 cup flour, butter and powdered sugar until it resembles fine crumbs. Press into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add in the sugar, flour, vanilla, baking powder and salt and mix until combined. Stir in the almonds, coconut and cherries. Spread over the crust.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
adapted from Betty Crocker