Coconut lovers will adore this sweet and moist Coconut Bread. Perfect for a brunch table or for a snack, this bread is addicting and delicious.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the sugar, oil and coconut extract and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry mixture and the buttermilk to the egg mixture. Stir together until it is almost combined, then add the coconut and stir just until combined. Don’t overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and transfer to the oven.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. If the bread starts to brown too much, lightly cover it with foil.
- When the bread is almost finished baking, combine the sugar, water, and butter in a small saucepan and set it over medium heat. Bring to a boil and let it boil for 5 minutes. Remove it from the heat and stir in the coconut extract.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and, leaving the bread in the pan, poke holes in the bread with a long skewer. Pour the syrup over the hot bread.
- Allow the bread to sit at room temperature for at least 4 hours before serving.
For high altitude, I added an extra 2 tablespoons of flour and reduced that baking soda to 1/4 teaspoon.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 316
- Sugar: 30 g
- Sodium: 178 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 35 mg
Keywords: coconut bread