Coconut lovers will adore this sweet and moist coconut bread.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease 1 9×5-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, oil and coconut extract. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the buttermilk to the dry mixture, then stir in the egg mixture. Add in the coconut. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- When the bread is almost finished, combine the sugar, butter, and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, remove from the heat and stir in the coconut extract. Pour the syrup over the hot bread.
- Allow the bread to sit at room temperature for at least 4 hours before serving.
source: a neighborhood cookbook