A taste of San Diego, these fried fish tacos have pieces of battered, fried fish inside corn tortillas, topped with a creamy, tangy white sauce.
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon capers, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- oil, for frying
- 16–18 oz firm white fish (cod, halibut, tilapia)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the fish
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 cup club soda or tonic water
- 16 small corn tortillas
- shredded cabbage
- minced cilantro
- lime wedges
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, sour cream, and lime juice; stir to combine. Add the jalapeño, capers, oregano, cumin, dill, salt and pepper. Stir completely, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (This sauce is great if you make it just before serving, but does get better after being refrigerated for a few hours. So if you can, make the sauce ahead of time.)
- Add and inch or two of oil to a large, heavy pan and bring to 375ºF.
- Cut the fish into 1-ounce pieces.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, stir together the egg and the club soda, then add it to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined – there may be some lumps, but that is normal.
- Dust the fish with flour. Working in batches as to not crowd the pan, drop the pieces of fish into the batter, then into the oil. Cook, turning as needed, until the fish is golden brown, 5-7 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the fish to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with kosher salt while still hot. Keep the fish warm and continue frying the fish until done.
- Put a small amount of oil in a small skillet and heat over medium heat. Add a tortilla and cook for a few seconds until golden, then turn and cook the second side. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- To serve, stack 2 tortillas, then add some cabbage, 2-3 pieces of fish, and then some of the white sauce. Top it off with fresh, minced cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
adapted from allrecipes.com