With spirals of chocolate and peppermint dough, these “Kiss Me” Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies are fun and minty and the perfect ending to a date night at home.
- 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 15 starlight mints, (crushed)
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, (melted)
- Combine the Crisco® shortening with the sugar in the bowl of a mixer and cream together until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl in between additions. Beat in the milk. Add the salt and baking powder, followed by the flour. Beat just until the flour is incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half. Stir the peppermint extract and the crushed peppermints into one half. Stir the melted chocolate into the other half.
- Cut 4 pieces of waxed paper into 18×7 inch rectangles. Roll each half of dough between 2 of the pieces of waxed paper. Remove the top piece of waxed paper from each dough, and carefully place the peppermint dough on top of the chocolate dough, dough sides together. Remove the top piece of waxed paper.
- Using the bottom piece of waxed paper as a guide, roll the doughs together, jelly-roll style. Wrap in the waxed paper, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Remove from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap and the waxed paper. Cut the dough into 1/3” slices. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes, just until set. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
If the dough starts to crumble, place back into the refrigerator. The dough needs to stay cold.