Light and fluffy and perfect for a date night in, this Chocolate Mousse is the perfect way to get your chocolate fix. Serve it up with whipped cream and fresh berries and you have a restaurant worthy dessert!
- 6 oz good quality semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites*
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Whipped cream, for topping
- Fresh berries, for topping
- Fill a saucepan with about an inch of water. Bring the water to a simmer. Place a heatproof bowl on top of the pan, making sure the bottom doesn’t touch the water.
- Place the chocolate and the butter in the bowl on top of the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, place the egg whites in a large bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar.
- In another bowl, combine the cream, powdered sugar and salt. Beat with an electric hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the melted chocolate to the whipped egg whites. Fold the whipped cream into the mixture.
- Refrigerate until it is set up, about 30 minutes. Serve with freshly whipped cream and berries.
*If you are worried about raw egg whites, you can use pasteurized egg whites. You can usually find these in the grocery store in a carton by the eggs.
This recipe says that it makes 4 servings, but it is quite rich and can be made to even smaller portions. I portioned it out to 5 servings (so we could each have one). This was the perfect serving for the adults, and maybe even a little large for the kids.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
Calorie information does not include whipped cream topping or berries.
- Calories: 418
- Sugar: 33 g
- Sodium: 167 mg
- Fat: 29 g
- Saturated Fat: 18 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 56 mg
Keywords: Chocolate Mousse