Chocolate Malt Cupcakes with Vanilla Malt Buttercream – rich chocolate cupcakes with a hint of malt are topped with a fluffy buttercream infused with even more malt flavor.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups original malted milk powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup original malted milk powder
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line 30 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Combine the milk and the malted milk powder in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until the malted milk powder has dissolved. Add in the oil, then add in the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add in the dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Add the sour cream and vanilla, and mix just until combined.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cups. Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
Make the buttercream:
- Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until very light, about 2 minutes. Add in the malted milk powder and mix another minute. Start adding in the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until combined, then add in the vanilla. Continue to beat for a couple more minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Frost the cupcakes as desired.*
cupcake recipe slightly adapted from Martha Stewart Cupcakes
*This recipe will make *just* enough frosting for all 30 cupcakes if used lightly. If you want to pile the frosting on the cupcakes, you may need 1 1/2 times the buttercream.