A childhood favorite – my mom’s version of Chile Rellenos. A cheese stuffed chile is fried in a batter for a true taste of my youth!
- Green Chiles
- Cheddar Cheese
For the batter:
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- vegetable shortening, for frying
- Roast the chiles and remove the skins. Pull out the seed and the ribs.
- Cut the cheese into long sticks, a little shorter than the length of the chiles, and about half an inch thick. Stuff one cheese stick into the center of each chile. Secure with a toothpick.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Add in the milk. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir just until combined. Add more milk if needed to bring it to the consistency of pancake batter.
- Melt some vegetable shortening in a large cast iron skillet. When melted, dip each of the stuffed chiles into the batter, then fry in the hot shortening. Turn until golden on all sides. Serve warm.