An easy way to have the flavors of tamales on a weeknight, this Chicken Tamale Casserole is super easy and packed with flavor.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream style corn
- 1 (8.5 ounce) box corn muffin mix
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine 1/4 cup cheese and milk, eggs, cumin, chili powder, corn, corn muffin mix and green chiles in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into the prepared dish.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until set. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Continue to bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream and cilantro, if desired.
adapted from Cooking Light November 2008