This Chicken, Mushroom and Cashew Risotto is a creamy risotto filled with lots of mushrooms, cashews and chicken.
- 4 oz dried cremini mushrooms
- 5 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb mixed fresh wild mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3–4 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- 2 oz butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 9 oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 5/8 cups risotto rice
- 2/3 cup dry white wine (or use more chicken stock)
- 1/3 cup cashews
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Place the dried mushrooms in a heatproof bowl and add boiling water to cover. Set aside to soak fro 30 minutes, then carefully lift out and pat dry.
- Bring the stock to a boil in a pan, then reduce the heat and keep simmering over low heat while you are cooking the risotto.
- Trim the fresh mushrooms and gently brush clean. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the fresh mushrooms and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the garlic and soaked mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove to a plate.
- Heat the butter in the pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, for another 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat, add the rice, and mix to coat it in the butter. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes or until the grains are translucent.
- Add the wine, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Gradually add the hot stock, a ladleful at a time. Stir constantly and add more liquid as the rice absorbs each addition. Increase the heat to medium so the liquid bubbles. Cook for 20 minutes, or until all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is creamy.
- About 3 minutes before the end of cooking time, stir in the mushrooms and cashews. Season to taste.
- Top each serving with cheese and chopped parsley.
adapted from Risotto by Clive Tring