A change from your typical red enchilada soup, this Chicken Green Chile Enchilada Soup is filled with your favorite chicken enchilada flavors.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth
- 3 cups water*
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1 can (10 oz) Kroger Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cans (4 oz each) Kroger diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup Kroger shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 oz Kroger cream cheese
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- additional Monterey Jack cheese and crushed tortilla chips for topping, if desired
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about one minute. Add in the chicken broth.
- Combine 2 cups of the water with the masa harina, whisking until smooth. Pour into the pot along with the remaining cup of water, enchilada sauce, and green chiles. Season with the salt, chile powder, cumin and pepper to taste. Cook for 30-40 minutes, until thickened.
- Stir in the Monterey Jack and cream cheese. Cook until the cheese has melted, whisking if needed, 5-10 minutes. Stir in the chicken and cook until heated through.
- Serve topped with additional Monterey Jack cheese and crumbled tortilla chips, if desired.
*this soup gets thicker upon standing. If you like a thinner soup, use more water or chicken broth to thin it out.
*if you like green chiles, but don’t love them, only use one can of green chiles.