Chunks of chicken are wrapped in ham and swiss and covered in a breadcrumb coating for a fun appetizer or family friendly dinner.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb deli sliced ham
- 1/2 lb deli sliced Swiss cheese
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 36 chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the eggs in a shallow bowl and beat lightly with a splash of water. Place the breadcrumbs and thyme in another shallow bowl. Place the flour in a third shallow bowl and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Cut the ham and the cheese into strips about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide. (Cut them lengthwise so they are long – you should be able to get 3 to 4 strips from each piece of ham, and 3 from each slice of cheese.)
- On a work surface, place one piece of cheese on top of one of the strips of ham. Place a chunk of chicken on one end and roll up to enclose the chicken. Working with one at a time, lightly coat with the flour, then dunk in the egg then roll in the breadcrumbs. Place on the baking sheet, seam side down. Continue with the rest of the nuggets.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the nuggets are golden, about 20 minutes.
slightly adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray March 2009