Fresh basil and pimientos make up the basil cream sauce that is served over crispy chicken. This Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce is a great end of summer supper!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 8-12 oz each, cut open lengthwise into 4 thinner pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 jar (4 oz) chopped pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- freshly grated pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170°F.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Place the milk in a shallow dish. Place the breadcrumbs in a second dish. Dip each of the pieces into the milk, then into the breadcrumbs. Transfer to the skillet and allow to cook until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a cooling rack placed over a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- Add the broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil and whisk to bring up the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Add in the cream and the pimientos. Cook until slightly thickened. Reduce the heat, then add the Parmesan cheese and basil. Season to taste with pepper.
- Serve the basil cream sauce over the chicken.
slightly adapted from Taste of Home Grand Prize Winners