This Chicken Chimichanga Recipe has flour tortillas that are filled with chicken, beans and cheese and then fried until they are golden and crispy. This is such an easy and fun Mexican recipe that you can make at home!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup prepared salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 oz) refried beans
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 oz (2 cups) shredded cheese (I used a mix of cheddar and Monterey Jack)
- 6 burrito sized tortillas
- Toppings – sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the shredded chicken. Add the salsa, cumin, smoked paprika and salt. Cook a few minutes until heated through, then turn the heat down to low to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot, mix the refried beans with a splash of water to thin them out a bit. Place over medium heat and heat through, stirring as needed.
- In a large skillet, I like to use a cast iron skillet, add enough oil to go up about 1 inch. Heat until the oil reaches around 350º.
- Wrap the tortillas in a paper towel and microwave on high for 30 seconds, or until they are pliable.
- Working with 1 tortilla at a time, spread 1/6 of the heated beans down the center of the tortilla. Top with 1/6 of the chicken mixture, then 1/6 of the shredded cheese. Fold the edges of the tortilla over the ends of the filling, then roll the tortilla up like a burrito.
- Continue with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Working in batches, if needed, add the chimichangas to the hot oil, seam side down. Cook just until golden brown and crispy, then flip and cook the opposite side. This should only take a couple of minutes on each side.
- Transfer the chimichangas to the cooling rack over the baking sheet, and place in the oven.
- Bake until the chimichangas are heated all the way through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline. Nutrition does not include toppings, such as sour cream and guacamole.
The nutritional value for the frying oil is based on a retention of 1/4 cup oil. Cooking time and temperature can cause this number to change.
- Serving Size: 1 chimichanga
- Calories: 665
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 1344 mg
- Fat: 35 g
- Saturated Fat: 12 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 17 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 40 g
- Cholesterol: 37 mg
Keywords: Chimichanga recipe, chicken chimichanga