Hit up the farmer’s market for fresh cherries and blueberries and turn them into this Cherry and Blueberry Cream Pie! Fresh berries are combined with a creamy sour cream filling and topped with plenty of streusel for a perfect summer pie.
For the pie:
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cherries, halved and pits removed
For the cream:
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
For the streusel:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Roll the pie crust out for a 9-inch pie dish. (I used a deep dish pie dish, but this should fit in a standard dish. Just make sure you put the dish on a baking sheet in case there is any run-over.) Place the crust in the dish and flute the edges. Poke the bottoms and sides with a fork.
- Spray a piece of foil with nonstick cooking spray and place in the pie dish, sprayed side on top of the crust. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the foil and weights.
- While the crust is par-baking, prepare the cream. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour and salt. Add in the eggs, sour cream and almond extract and stir until combined.
- In another bowl, make the streusel. Combine the sugar and the flour. Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the mixture. Using a fork, your fingers or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the sugar and flour until it resembles coarse meal.
- When the crust is done, place the blueberries and cherries in the crust. Pour the cream mixture evenly over the top of the berries. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top.
- Bake the pie for 20 minutes, then cover the edges of the pie with a pie shield or foil. Continue to bake the pie until the center is set and the topping is golden brown, about 35 minutes longer.
- Let the pie cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.
adapted from allrecipes.com