Mac and cheese with 3 cheeses – all made on the stovetop for a comforting, kid-friendly meal.
- 4 ounces Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Combine the milk and the flour in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Add the milk mixture to the skillet and bring to a boil, stirring the whole time. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack, cream cheese, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. Cook until the cheeses melt, stirring the whole time. Add the pasta and stir to coat.
- Garnish with parsley before serving, if desired.
adapted from Cooking Light April 2007