A great way to use up leftover ham, this Cauliflower soup is cheesy and creamy and perfect for a cold night.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 lbs. chopped cauliflower florets
- 3 cups medium cheddar cheese
- 4 oz cubed, cooked ham
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook for 30-60 seconds longer. Slowly whisk in the milk and the broth. Add the salt. Bring to a light simmer, then add the cauliflower. Cover the pot and cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Return to the soup pot.
- Stir in the cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Stir in the ham and heat until the ham is heated through, then serve warm.