This easy, yet impressive looking Caramel Apple Bundt Cake is perfect to serve to holiday guests. Don’t skip the caramel icing – it totally makes this cake!
- 1 (18.5-oz) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.4-oz) package white chocolate instant pudding mix
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 3 apples, peeled and diced (I had about 3 cups of diced apples)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar*
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan. Alternately, spray with baking spray (not nonstick cooking spray).
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, water, eggs and apple sauce. Beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes. Fold in the apples.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for 10-20 minutes, then turn out to cool completely.
- Once cool, make the icing: in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, salt and whipping cream. Cook, stirring constantly, until the butter melts and the mixture comes to a boil. Allow the mixture to boil for one minute, then remove from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth. Immediately pour the icing over the cake and allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
*I would sift the powdered sugar to avoid any clumps in the icing.
recipe from Christmas Desserts by Laura Powell