Mini tartlets filled with seasoned cream cheese, fresh mozzarella, tomato and topped with basil. These Mini Caprese Tartlets are the perfect end of summer appetizer or side dish!
- 8 slices white bread
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375Fº.
- Remove the crusts from the bread. Using a rolling pin, flatten each slice of bread. Brush both sides with olive oil and press into a muffin tin. (Tip: cut a small slit diagonally down one corner to make it easy to fit into the cup.) Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese with the garlic powder, dried basil, salt and pepper. Mix together until smooth and creamy. Drop about a teaspoon into each cup. Bake the tartlets in the preheated oven until browned, about 12-13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place a slice of mozzarella in each cup. (I returned mine to the oven again for a minute or two to soften and melt the mozzarella slightly.) Top with a tomato.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and a small drizzle of remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Chiffonade the basil for garnish. Serve warm.
recipe from $10 Dinners