Filled with vegetables and a good kick of spice, you will never guess that this Cajun Chicken Pasta is actually a lighter meal!!
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons light cream cheese
- 8 oz linguine
- kosher salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized strips
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Combine the milk, flour and cream cheese in a blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon of the garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray and add half of the chicken. Cook the chicken until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cook the second half of the chicken, then remove the cooked chicken to the plate.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet, reducing the heat to medium. Add the bell peppers, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until almost tender, 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and the tomatoes and continue to cook another 3 to 4 minutes. Season the vegetables with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the chicken broth and the cream cheese slurry. Cook, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken strips back to the skillet. Season with another 1/8 teaspoon of salt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, or add more to taste. Cook until heated through. Add the linguine and toss to coat.
- Divide the pasta between 5 serving plates and sprinkle with the green onions.
source: The Skinnytaste Cookbook
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 375
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 475 mg
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 47 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 30 g
- Cholesterol: 63 mg
Keywords: cajun chicken pasta