A yeast-bread made from pureed butternut squash, this Butternut Squash Bread is a great way to add some extra veggies in!
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 cups cooked, mashed butternut squash
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 – 7 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve the yeast in the water. Add in the squash, milk, eggs, butter, sugar and salt and mix until combined. Add in 3 1/2 cups of the flour and mix well. Continue adding flour until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, 7-10 minutes.
- Lightly grease a bowl and add the dough, turning once to coat. Cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and allow the dough to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and divide into 3 equal portions. Shape into loaves and place in 3 greased loaf pans. Cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with non-stick spray, and allow to double again, 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Bake the loaves until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then remove from pans and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
From Dine and Dish