Regular mashed potatoes are taken up a notch with the addition of brown butter in these Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 4 lbs. yellow Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place the butter in a heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the butter begins to turn golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Remove immediately from the heat and pour butter into a bowl.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add 2 teaspoons of the salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the potatoes are tender, drain and return to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until you reach your desired consistency. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the browned butter, and add the remaining to the potatoes, along with the buttermilk, milk and remaining salt. Season with pepper, and more salt if needed.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving dish and drizzle with the reserved brown butter.
slightly adapted from Southern Living 2007 Annual Recipes